Sometimes, as you go through life, you hear things you don't want to hear. You learn things aren't always as calm, cool, and collected as they seem. You see people that are really great people go through great times of trial and loss.
When I was 21 years old, we found out my oldest brother had Cancer. Cancer. Ugh, seriously? That's right, we were thrown into our own personal version of hell. Appointments, surgeries, treatments that left him more ill than the disease itself.
After a year of hell... he was given the news his cancer was in remission. Have you ever seen the scene in Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame where the freed captive goes skipping around proclaiming "I'm free! I'm free!" Only to stumble into another shackle and get locked up again? Yep, that's what happened to us, too. His remission didn't last long enough. The Cancer came back with a vengence... and it eventually took his life.
Now, I sit and watch as two friends suffer the trials of ALS.
Two young men. I say young... because both of them are under 50. Did you know the average age of diagnosis is 55? What gives?
One, I went to college with. He is 38. That's right, 38. You know the guy in the crowd that always had a smile and a quip? The one that always made everyone else feel better just by being around? That was him....still is him. However, he is in the final stages of battling this stupid disease that is robbing him of his faculties one.by.one. It sucks. It truly sucks to watch him deteriorate.
The other, our neighbor. He isn't much older than my husband and myself. He has 4 beautiful children, and an amazing wife. Again... the person that always made you smile. The person that, you knew you could count on if something blew up and you needed an extra set of hands.
I found myself wondering why it's always the good ones that go young. Why doesn't this crap happen to the nasty, bitter, horrible people. The ones that cause human suffering? The ones that lie, cheat, and steal to get through life? Why can't they be the ones that suffer instead of the good people that try to go around doing good things?
It hit me. God doesn't need a group of angels who need training. God needs the angels that have already figured out how to do their job... and practiced... and learned to do it well. God put us each here for a very specific reason. He wants to surround Himself with the angels that get it. If you want to be with Him on the judgement day, it's time to start getting it.
No comments:
Post a Comment